It's Yogi Adityanath. The suspense over who will be the next chief minister of Uttar Pradesh is finally over. The BJP made a formal announcement anointing Yogi Adityanath to the post on late on Saturday evening. The new chief minister and his new cabinet will take oath on Sunday.
Here are five statements made by Adityanath, the current head priest of the Gorakhnath Mutt, a Hindu temple in Gorakhpur, and soon-to-be sworn in chief minister of Uttar Pradesh.
- When he compared Bollywood sweetheart Shah Rukh Khan to terror group Lashkar-e-Toiba founder Hafiz Saeed. He had said, "Shah Rukh Khan should remember that if people boycott his movies, he will be left to wander on the streets like a normal Muslim. These people are speaking in terrorists’ language. I think there is no difference between the language of Shah Rukh Khan and Hafiz Saeed."
- When he asked those who are against yoga to leave the country. "Lord Shiva was the yogi who started yoga. He lives in every particle of this country. Those who want to avoid yoga and Lord Shankar can leave the country," said the MP of Gorakhpur constituency.
- At one speech, he said “When I speak, thousands listen,” he says. “When I ask them to rise and protect our Hindu culture, they obey. If I ask for blood, they will give me blood...I will not stop till I turn UP and India into a Hindu rashtra."
- Targeting Muslims, he has remarked that the 450 cases of riots in the western region of UP that took place when Samajwadi Party was in power was because the population of a "certain community" is rising manifold.
- According to an article in a news magazine, Adityanath called himself the next Narendra Modi, and has repeatedly declared he would turn Gorakhpur into Godhra and UP into Gujarat. Swearing to "eliminate the Muslim population in UP", he also led a ‘purification drive’ in the district of Etah, converting 1,800 Christians to Hinduism. Earlier that year, he had ghar wapsi-ed 5,000 Dalit Christians in the same district.