Chennai News

Expert explains

Published: 04th March 2017 03:57 AM  |   Last Updated: 04th March 2017 03:57 AM   |  A+A-

Express News Service

Our government collect income tax and expenditure tax in the name of service tax. As a salaried person, my income was fully taxed before payment. After that I am paying service tax also for all my expenditure. At the rate of 14.42%. Is it legally correct sir?

—S  Selvam

When you go to a temple, around the praharam there are many sannadhis. In each Sannadhi you offer worship. Like that the govt can siphon off  money from the tax payer under different heads. The SC has upheld the validity of The Service Tax Act.

Ours is a group of 300 apartments.  The annual general body meeting of the association last year did not have enough quorum, but yet some vested interests conducted the meeting illegally and got themselves elected as office bearers. Since many of the other residents did not bother about what was going on, the illegal office bearers have started handling the corpus and other funds without following any procedure. We kindly request you to suggest legal action to check the possible financial fraud that might happen.

—M K Natarajan, Coimbatore

You can complain to the Registrar of Societies in your area regarding the  Form VII filed by the present office bearers should not be accepted because of the illegalities or you can move the civil court and file  a representative suit challenging their election.

I’m presently living in Tiruvallur district and my father wants to give his house property in Rajasthan to me (son) which is. Can my father make a settlement deed here in Chennai ? If yes, how much will it cost? Or is it better to make the deed in Rajasthan?

—RS Trilok, Tiruvallur Dist

You will have to register the settlement deed in the registration office under which jurisdiction the property is situated.

I won an industrial dispute case at the Vellore court and the Madras High court two years ago. The refund of deposit is pending at the Madras High Court. My counsel says that the delay is due to shortage of Judges and it comes under non-priority. It seems it is a routine procedure. Do I have to wait for some more years to get the refund?


When  a deposit is made in the HC after the disposal of the main case, you can approach the Registrar General of the High Court for withdrawal. But he will release the amount only if there is an order for payment out by the court. Shortage of judges has got nothing to do with the same. All miscellaneous applications will be heard by a judge on a day-to-day basis.


Justice K Chandru is a former judge of the Madras High Court

Stay up to date on all the latest Chennai news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.